Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 14

My earliest memory...

I have no idea, so instead I will write about a favorite memory.  This memory was jogged when I opened a package from Amazon, and inside was the 25th Anniversary of the Polar Express.  This was always a Christmas favorite growing up because it always added to the magic.  I can't even say that we read it every year aloud, but I always read it.  It is Pop's favorite Christmas book, and I know I will always associate it with him.  When I read it today, I got teary at several parts just remembering.  Remembering the magic of being a kid, of believing in Santa, thinking that life would stay just the same.

Time marches on and things change.  Kids grow older and some stop believing.  I hope I never do.  Pop still rings Santa's bell on Christmas Eve, without fail.  When I think of Christmas magic, all of those memories are wrapped up in him, and in how he has made Christmas so special.  I think believing in the magic of Christmas means that you still believe that there is good in the world.  You believe there is still room for peace, love, and true joy.  It is staying optimistic against an increasingly negative world.  It is embracing what life could be, if we would let it.

As the young boy in the story, I hope I always hear the bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment