Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Almost there

One of my goals for 2011 was to read 25 books.  I made this goal over the summer when I realized that I was over halfway there!  I just finished book #22 yesterday, and I am in the process of deciding what to read next.  My mother-in-law is an avid reader as well, and when I last saw her, she gave me a stack of books.  I have only read one, and it is mostly due to the fact that they are not on my Kindle.  To say that I have completely converted to e-books is pretty much true.  I love being able to read at the gym, and the Kindle makes that possible.  I don't have to keep fixing the pages every time the fan blows in the direction of my machine.  In fact, 11 out of the 22 books I read this year were e-books.  I have completely stopped purchasing real books, but I will still borrow books from others or from the library.  If all e-books were free, then I would rely solely on them.

So to accomplish my goal, I need to read 3 books in 2 months.  Can I do it?  I think so, but I suspect that one book will be read once Christmas vacation comes.  It will be down to the wire.  If we happen to have a placement before then, I will likely have to abandon my goal.  Since there is no indication of that happening, I think I will take care of business.  I love reading too much not to.  I am already contemplating what my 2012 reading goal will be.

25 in 2011 is even more impressive to me because I have also been writing more.  Between my journal and my 2 blogs, I usually end up reading or writing every day.  That makes me very happy.  I love reading and writing more than I enjoy watching TV so I am glad that I have been able to balance my free time more evenly.  Plus, a good book is usually the only way that I am able to stay on the elliptical for 45 minutes.  Being so close to my goal, I want to make my last 3 books really count.  Maybe I will read a holiday-themed book since I love Christmas so much.

Possible Titles for the Final Three:
Snow Day, Billy Coffey
Last Summer of You and Me, Ann Brashares
Oxygen, Carol Willa Cassella
Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection, Stephanie Dowrick
Something by one of my favorites: Wally Lamb, Augusten Burroughs, Laurie Halse Anderson, BJ Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment