Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

I have been writing...

but I haven't had the time to publish. The next few entries are ones I have written in the last few weeks so they are still current and relevant :-)

9/20/11
Home is...
the life we have together. Two people, who were strangers almost 7 years ago, have built a strong foundation.  Home is the place we come back to after being out there.  It is safe, it is loving, it is the essence of us.  It is Sundays on the couch.  It is fetch in the yard.  It is board games and cards and homemade pizza.  It is reading in bed.  It is laughing and teasing and chasing the dogs and each other around.  It is sit and roll over.  It is I Love You, Goodnight.  It is I'd do it all over again in a heart beat.  I would, and I do.

9/20/11
"The best things in life may be discovered on a detour." ~Snowday by Billy Coffey
Becoming a teacher was a huge detour, yet one of the best roads I have ever followed.  It was more than a choice, almost a calling.  It was one of those moments when everything just seemed to fit.  The world made sense.  I finally felt like I was doing what I was put on this earth to do.  Everyday I am challenged to be patient, to be compassionate, to be caring.  One of the greatest joys in my life are my students.  Watching them learn and grow is so gratifying.  While some take a long time to come around, they usually do.  I feel likeI too am growing as I work with them.  I am utterly amazed at the resilience I have witnessed in spite of very difficult situations.  It gives me hope.  I came upon a great quote (paraphrased) that has stayed with me: teachers are focused on teaching kids how to be that they forget that they already are.   I strive to find a balance between appreciating them for who they are while challenging them to grow.  I took the road less traveled, and it has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment