Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Finishing Becca Review

Finishing Becca: A Story About Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold by Ann Rinaldi


From Goodreads:  An independent-minded young maid tells the story of social-climber Peggy Shippen and how she influenced Benedict Arnold’s betrayal of the Patriot forces. Revolutionary Philadelphia is brought to life as Becca seeks to find her "missing pieces" while exploring the complicated issues of the war between the impoverished independence men and the decadent British Tories.  This tale of treachery comes alive under [Rinaldi’s] pen.”--Kirkus Reviews 


My Review:  This book was recommended to me by our school librarian who is becoming a friend of mine.  She loved this book as a young adult and thought I would too.  I have a growing fascination with Benedict Arnold even thought I find him to be a fairly despicable human being.  This is the second historical fiction book that I have read this year, and I am enjoying this genre.  I love history but rarely read historical fiction.


So, Becca and Peggy...It almost seemed as if they shared the narration since Becca's life is so wrapped up in Peggy's.  Peggy is unlikeable from the start and only gets worse as the novel goes on.  Becca is a sweet enough character who has big dreams of "finishing" herself with the finer things in life.  She longs to draw, speak French, and dance.  Becca's mother was a member of society prior to Becca's father's death which cost the family almost everything they had.  Becca's mother then marries a farmer and a spy for both sides, Henry Job.  


Ann Rinaldi did a nice job portraying how Becca was caught between two worlds.  When she was at Henry Job's farm, she longed to be at the Shippens; yet, when she was at the Shippens she knew that she did not quite fit there either.  The servants and Peggy's oldest sister and parents embraced her, but Peggy, Andre and Benedict all treated her poorly.  


The book actually left me with more questions than I had anticipated.  It has forced me to reserve The Notorious Benedict Arnold from the library.  This story made it seem like the betrayal was Peggy's "fault."  I hope I get a clearer picture in this biography.  Honestly, both characters were so full of pride and ambition that it could have been either ones idea! I will keep you posted when I find out the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment