Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2009

Working a plan...

My mind is so full and overwhelmed right now, but I want to get this all down before I get too busy and forget the details.

Yesterday, D and I went to an overnight getting acquainted workshop. We arrived at our hotel a bit early, but there was nothing to do in town. I was a bit bummed because I thought where we were going was a cutesy town, but I definitely mixed it up with somewhere else! We met up with another couple from our area that I had been introduced to through another friend. The cocktail can only be described in one word: AWKWARD! In fact, it reminded me very much of a middle school dance, where everyone is standing there looking at each other, but no one is talking. Luckily, there were some munchies and wine to help us feel more comfortable. We met a few other couples, but were still feeling odd. Once the first session began, we got settled in for more information than we imagined. During the slide show, I spilled wine on my pants, but luckily it dried before they turned the lights back on! During the intros, I was surprised to learn that quite a few couples were from our area. After that, we had a casual dinner at a local restaurant. Aside from the great food and ice cream, it was so great to have such an open dialogue about adopting with other couples. While we think about it a lot, and talk about it with our family and friends, it was SO nice to be around so many others who are embarking on the same journey.

This morning started early and was jammed with more information! We heard a presentation from adoptive parents as well as a birth mom. It was so great to hear both sides of the adoption story. We also had a chance to meet with an adviser in private to have our questions answered. We had the option to stay an extra day to sign on, but we decided to come home. While we now know that we are ready to move forward with them, we didn't want to be too hasty. We plan to sign on as soon as we can, hopefully in a few weeks! We are both VERY excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment