Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Greatest Instrument

"Enjoy your body, use it every way you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own..." (the sunscreen song)


I have been so touched by the encouragement I have received both online and in person for my new fitness lifestyle.  Those of you who know me know that exercise has been a very low priority for about 28 of the 30 years I have been alive.  I started thinking about my change of heart, and I decided to dedicate a post to just that.


Back in 2008, just after Dave and I were married, I had a lump in my left lymph node that was suspicious.  It had been there for years, but it began growing more rapidly and causing intense shoulder discomfort.  The day after we returned from our honeymoon, I had surgery to remove it.  Unbeknownst to me, the surgeon told Dave and my parents that it looked like lymphoma and to be prepared.  The local doctors studied it more closely and also sent it to Johns Hopkins.  Amazingly, it turned out to be dead tissue, not cancer.  I do not know why, but I got a miracle.  


This news first began a huge emotional shift for me.  As I have written in past posts, it is what has caused me to re-evaluate what is important in life, how I spend my time, and who I spend it with.  I am not saying that I am perfect at doing this, but I am so much more conscious of it now.  It was only a matter of time until I shifted my focus to how I treat my body. I love to eat.  I hate being restricted when it comes to eating.  I have miles to go in the eating department.  I was once quoted as saying that "I like to get my fruit from pie."  


So why do I work out so much more now?  


I will start with the easy answer.  I really like my gym.  It is small and in the middle of nowhere, but the classes are what I am looking for and at times that work for me.  I actually go to the gym alone!  I have been taking Zumba for almost one year, and it is what really started me on the kick.  It was only once a week, and it was what kept me working out on the non-Zumba days.  Zumba is still the highlight of my Monday.


The second and third reasons are ones that came up when I really started thinking about why I work out.  My second reason is my Nan.  She is in her mid-seventies and is basically wheelchair bound.  Some of it has been beyond her control, but I never want to end up in that position, and I will do ANYTHING I can to prevent it.  Seeing her makes me realize how much I take movement for granted.  A simple thing like writing is next to impossible for her.  So much of who I am comes from my hands, and I want to keep that movement.  I care about my heart and lungs, and I know working out will help prevent so many illnesses AND reduce stress.  I know you are probably thinking "DUH!" but it took some time to truly incorporate this into my philosophy.  If putting in an hour at the gym buys me more time on Earth and a better quality of life, I will do it.  


Thirdly, it is about infertility.  I can focus on the one thing my body can't do or I can focus on the thousands of things it can do.  I choose Option #2.  On the days I feel down about not having a baby, I exercise.  I tell myself that this stamina will come in handy when I am chasing Junior around.  Plus, I want to be my healthiest self for my child, in every way.  I want to be the mom that hikes, swims, bikes, runs, and plays.  Growing up, my parents were great fitness role models as they often exercised.  We would take walks or bike rides as a family.  They would jog together and separately, as would Pop.  My one sister has always been extremely active and attended college on an athletic scholarship!  To be honest, my former lack of fitness made me odd man out in my family. They never said it, but coming from such a fit family, what was my problem?! 


Maybe I just needed a reason.  

2 comments:

  1. Great entry. It really made me stop and think. I love reading about things from your perspective. I love your dedication and positive efforts to do this for Dave, baby G and most importantly, for yourself. You make me so proud! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too... and PS we BOTH were the odd man out i hate exercise... I can't count marching band as real exercise... lol

    ReplyDelete