Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011: Year in Review

2011 Year in Review


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I became an aunt!  While I already have 2 nieces and 2 nephews by marriage, it felt much different when James was born.  It has been a lot of fun having a baby in the family.
I also began seeing a life coach.  There was a time when I was in a place of despair, I reached out and found Julie.  After 2 sessions with her, I found a very peaceful place, and I hope to stay here.
We also joined a new church.  Dave and I were raised with different religions and neither of us felt compelled to convert to the other's religion.  As a compromise, we "tried out" a Methodist church and have found it to be a good fit.  I believe that God is everywhere and that no one religion or church own's God's presence.  I love our little church, and I look forward to going every week.
At school, I am teaching a new class: AIS.  I have 2 groups of 4 students, and I love the small group instruction.  It is very different from teaching a class of 20, but I am enjoying it.  My morning class is a bit more challenging than my afternoon class, but I like it all the same.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
Yes and no.  I did quit the golf course!!!!  I was able to get a job at the Victoria Pool, and I really loved it.  Just knowing that I didn't have to deal with my old boss made the switch worth it.  I did make less money because the season was shorter and we had a wet summer, but it was still worth it.
In terms of diet and exercise, I have not been great.  I do get to the gym a few times a week, but I eat everything!  I am at my heaviest, and I hope to lose 7-10 pounds this year.  I had success whenI was using sparkpeople.com so I think I will try that again.
3. What places did you visit? 
~Maine
~Boston
~Washington DC
~North Carolina 
4. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Same as last year, I would REALLY like a baby! <3

5. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
9/24: My 30th birthday and surprise party
9/9: James was born
7/5: Our 3rd wedding anniversary
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
My biggest achievements are that I met and went beyond my reading and writing goals!  I set out to read 25 books this year, and I read 28.  I have also been writing up a storm, both in my journal and on my blog.  
7. What was your biggest failure?
I still really struggle with money management.  I feel like I am living paycheck to paycheck, and I dislike that.
8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from a few falls and a sinus infection, 2011 was another healthy year.
9. What did you get really, really, really excited about? 
~our night in Boston at the Fairmont on Copley Square (where we were engaged!) and the tour of Fenway Park
~our annual camping trip with John and Jenn
~my reading and blogging
~Zumba

10. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
happier
b) thinner or fatter? 
fatter
c) richer or poorer
poorer

11. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel!  Last year I vowed to take a few day trips, and we didn't take any.  We also didn't get to see a game at Fenway like we usually do.
I spent more time with my sisters this year, and I want to continue doing that. We always have the best time, and we say that we should hang out more often.
12. What do you wish you’d done less of?
For one, trying to analyze our adoption.  I even used an Excel spreadsheet to track placements.  I stopped doing it because it literally drove me insane.  It was demoralizing to see all of these other families being selected while we are still waiting. 
I also wish I spent less time with people who bring me down.  As time goes on, I hope to put a greater distance between people who aren't good for me.  2012 will be all about positivity, and if you're not on board, get out of the way!
 

13.  What were your favorite TV programs?
~Modern Family
~Glee
~SATC
~Law and Order: SVU
~Keeping Up with the Kardashians
~NFL
~MLB
~Bones
  
14.  What did you do for your birthday in 2011?
I turned 30 this year, and my birthday was great!  Dave threw a surprise party at Limoncello and our families and friends were all there.  It was amazing to see everyone, and I had a wonderful time.  In terms of gifts, I got a monogram necklace from Tiffany's and a Jacoby Ellsbury jersey.  We also took our camping trip with John and Jenn the weekend prior.

15.  What is a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
I've learned (and am still learning) that I can only do what I can, but I cannot force other people to change.  In that same vein, there is a feeling of relief when I release the responsibility to where it belongs: on the people needing change.  It is not my personal job to fix things for those people, while I sometimes wish I could.  There is a freeing feeling in letting life take over.  Sometimes no amount of action will bring about what I want, so I just have to wait and see how life plays out.
16.  My goals for 2012:   
~a healthier diet and weight
~have a baby
~keep reading and writing
~love more
~have more followers on my blog ;-)

Happy New Year!  May 2012 be the best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more with your thoughts under #15. Love it and hope to try to live it with you.

    ReplyDelete