Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Odd Twist of My Mind

When I get ready for work in the morning, I like to dance around to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry.  Don't worry, I do this after Dave leaves for work.  So as I am dancing around to the very catchy Judas song, I started to think about him.  He is one of the most famous traitors of all time, perhaps the worst one.  I began to wonder, who would win an unpopularity contest between Judas and Benedict Arnold?

Let's start with Judas...He was recruited to be a disciple, but his betrayal was always part of the plan.  Seeing how his betrayal led to the death of Jesus, it seems like a no-brainer that he would be the winner.  But then again, maybe not.  While his role in the whole thing was despicable, it was essential.  If he had not betrayed Jesus, there is no telling how the Bible might be different.  Had he taken the proverbial high road, what would have happened?  I would think loyalty to Jesus is a quality that would be essential in a follower, right?  And yet, if the plan was already laid out, Judas had no choice but to live it out.  Imagine being him?  Talk about a tough lot in life and death.  You'd be the one chosen to betray God, would end your life wracked with guilt, and despised for the foreseeable future.  Ever wonder if Judas asked why he drew the short straw?  I wonder.  Was he a bad person, or was he just human?

So on to Benedict Arnold...I had to do a bit of research on the man whose name is synonymous with traitor.  After reading that he largely defected due to his claims of unfair treatment and the accolades which he felt he earned but never received.  So in other words, he was a traitor for pride.  I had always assumed that he was a traitor due to a moral obligation, to follow his heart.  In reality, he was allowing his ego to control his actions.  Arnold ended up leaving the US (obviously), and living the rest of his life abroad.  What I found interesting was that Arnold's co-conspiritor was executed for espionage, and yet Arnold was rewarded with money and prestige in England.  The only upside to Arnold's betrayal was that it was discovered before any troops were killed.  I am not saying that I agree with his plans or his actions, but he went down in history as a traitor who was not even successful as one!  I would think that if you are going to risk all that you are for a cause, that your plan would be a bit more fool-proof.  One website said that Arnold "died as he lived, a man without a country."  In my research, I was unable to find out if Arnold ever regretted his actions.  I would find him a bit more sympathetic if he had expressed remorse.

So wins the biggest traitor contest?  Benedict Arnold by 30 pieces of silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment