Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Teach the children well


altruism (ˈæltruːˌɪzəm) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
n
1. the principle or practice of unselfish concern for the welfare ofothers
2. the philosophical doctrine that right action is that whichproduces the greatest benefit to others

One of the best parts about teaching is getting the kids involved in activities that foster a sense of responsibility for our fellow humans.  Being that they are in junior high and developmentally deep in the ego phase, I think it is vital to expose them to some "do-gooding."  It can be so easy to get caught up in our own lives that we can neglect others who may be in need.  Two years ago, we collected money for the Make A Wish Foundation.  Those 7th graders are now in 9th grade, and are hopefully going to help me sell Angels for the same cause.  I plan to get the 7th grade to spear-head this along with the Junior Honor Society.  The Angels only cost $1, and I think it is a great way to spread some holiday cheer to children who so desperately need it.  In these times of self-absorbtion, it is good to give back.  I want to make someone's wish come true, and I want my students to have a hand in that.  There is no greater love than showing concern for one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment