Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

25 in 2011

I thought it would be fun to rank the 25 books I have read so far this year. It is mid-November, and I am onto book #25. I have decided to finish my year with a Hunger Games Trilogy re-read. I am definitely going to increase my goal for next year since I finished 45 days early this year.

2011: A Year in Books

1. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
2. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
3. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
If you had told me that this series would be my Top 3 of 2011, I would not have believed you.  I am so looking forward to re-reading this series and falling for Katniss all over again. 


4. Winter Garden, Kristen Hannah
I loved this book because, for some reason, I connected it with Nan.  Many of the events in the story really reminded me of how I think her life was growing up.  I loved the Russian aspect as well as the conflict the narrator was constantly engaged in.

5. Last Summer of You and Me, Ann Brashares
This book was given to me by a co-worker, and I did not expect to connect so deeply with the characters. The two sisters in the story were quite different from my sisters and I, but I understood the relationship so well.  There were some unexpected twists that kept this from being just another piece of chick lit.

6. The Apothecary's Daughter, Julie Klassen
This was another book that I did not expect to fall in love with, but I did.  I was quickly swept into the old world of 19th century England where Lillian lives two lives--one as an apothecary's daughter and one as a lady in waiting in London.  While the books was VERY long, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Sh*t My Dad Says, Justin Halpern
This was hands down the funniest book I've ever read.  I actually cried from laughter several times.  While it is low on literary value, it is 110% enjoyable.

8. Best Friends Forever, Jennifer Weiner
This is a story that I have read before (Summer Sisters/Firefly Lane), but still really liked.  I love stories of friendships that span the lives of the characters and all of the challenges that come with growing up.

9. Goodbye Janette, Harold Robbins
This book was bizarre.  I loved the fashion aspect of the book, but the sex was really taboo.  The characters were ones that you loved to hate, and that definitely added to the book.  I selected this one as part of a book challenge where the task was to read a best seller from the year of my birth.  I did not realize upon selecting it that it was classified as erotic fiction. Oops.

10. Driving with Dead People, Monica Halloway
This book wins the award for the darkest book I read this year.  It is a memoir, which makes it more horrifying. Monica is still very much on my mind and I suspect that she will be for some time.  It deals with sexual abuse, suicide, and a mortuary, and yet she still manages to tell a good story.  The book is not all depressing, but the bright moments are surely overshadowed with the author's lifetime of abuse and tragedy.

11. As the Twig is Bent, Joe Perrone, Jr.
I read this mystery book in one day.  It had mystery and intrigue; it was a perfect book to read during the hurricane we experienced this summer.  It was just scary enough and the culprit was not obvious.   

12. Clara and Mr. Tiffany, Susan Vreeland
This book was a bit of a letdown.  I love all things Tiffany, but this book was just too long.  There were times when the plot really seemed to be going nowhere, and it was dull.  I loved learning about the history of Tiffany and Co. when they were about art and lamps.  There were issues raised about women's rights during the early 20th century, and I found that to really add to the plot.

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, James Ford
This book straddled two time periods--modern day and WWII.  The story of a Chinese boy who falls in love with a Japanese girl during WWII, and whose life is never the same.  I was startled at the racism between the Chinese and the Japanese, but overall I enjoyed the book.  

14. 12-Gauge Guardian, BJ Daniels
B.J. Daniels is one of my guilty pleasure authors.  There is just a certain something about mysteries that happen at a ranch with cowboys.  Enough said. 

15. Wishin and Hopin, Wally Lamb
Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors.  This book was pretty different from his others in that it was funny and cute.  It was 100% light-hearted.  It was not one of his best books, but I liked it.

16. Stampeded, B.J. Daniels
See above :-)

17. An Abundance of Katherines, John Green
I selected this book based on the title.  It was cute, for a young adult book.  At times, I wanted it to be over because it was filled with teen angst.  It was pretty cliche and filled with math...not my cup of tea.

18. Closed for the Season, Mary Downing Hahn
This is another YA book.  I like Mary Downing Hahn's other book Wait Till Helen Comes as it was pretty scary.  This one wasn't as scary, but I had to read it because one of my students loaned me the book.  It was a quick read.

19. You Better Not Cry, Augusten Burroughs
Augusten Burroughs is my favorite author.  I would seriously LOVE to meet him someday.  This book was not one of my favorites.  I love all of his work, but this one and Sellivision just really fell short.  He is such a talented writer, and this book of short vignettes just lacked the usual Augusten pizzazz.  

20. The Long Run, Mishka Shubaly
Technically, I should not review this book yet as I am only halfway finished with it. I can say that the plot is interesting, but the writing style is very basic.  

21. Impetuous, Lori Foster
This book is in the same category as the B.J. Daniels books.  It was a light read with a forbidden romance, but not much plot to speak of.  

22. Queen of Babble, Meg Cabot
I really disliked this book.  I found the narrator to be annoying as heck.  She was whiny and needy. WARNING: Don't waste your time on this one.

23. Shine, Lauren Myracle
This book was a freebie from Amazon, and it was just so-so.  The story line was really interesting, but the writing really lacked that certain something.  My goal was not to abandon any books this year, but I wanted to with this one.

24. Room, Emma Donaghue
I pre-ordered this book, and I anxiously awaited its arrival.  What a let down.  This book has VERY little action, but is heavy with emotional description.  The author successfully narrates the story from the perspective of 5-year old Jack, but the story was not that riveting.  

25. Go Ask Alice, Anonymous
This book was awful.  The ending was abrupt, and the story felt very unrealistic.  The English teacher I replaced used to teach this book so I decided to give it a try.  Not only would I never teach this book, I would never recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment