Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Feeling Thankful

I know this post comes a day early, but I am full of thanks today that I thought I would write it a day early.
To begin with, we had our final home study meeting last night. Our SW is amazing, and we were able to talk about some tough topics without feeling like there was a right or wrong answer. While in a way, it is frustrating, but she just kept saying that we would know what to do once we know who our child is. I suppose all parents go through a similar obstacle course of what-ifs, but our SW pointed out that our agency is there for us for life and that we can always call and get advice on how to have the more difficult conversations around our child's adoption. I left the meeting with mixed feelings--both excited and nervous. She said that we would most likely be active by mid-December which is sooner than we thought. The whole not knowing when part is difficult for Dave and I because we both like to plan, and with adoption, it seems the only plan is to be ready or ready to wait indefinitely. I think we will be waiting for a while, but our SW said anywhere from 2 hours to 2 years is the time frame! She scared Dave when she told the story of the couple who was active and matched within hours. While I know this is the exception rather than the rule, I could see the anxiety on Dave's face. I am just feeling that we will be parents in God's time, whenever that might be!
Secondly, I am so excited for Thanksgiving and the time off that comes with it! I am off today, and have a lot of fun things planned. I am baking as I type, and then I will head out to the mall for a bit. I am one of those oddballs who enjoys window shopping this time of year. I do need to pick up a few things, but overall, it will be just looking. Later today I am heading down to Albany for lunch with Beth. Still no baby, but it will be great to visit with her again. I wish we lived closer because while we talk online every day, it is just not the same. As I said to Dave last weekend, I am missing my people more with each year that we are up here. I think it is a mixture of us starting a family and just feeling like I am missing out on precious time with my grandparents. The likelihood of us moving closer is contingent upon me finding a job that is further south. Part of me hopes that I will be able to do that once I have my 5-6 extension since I would love to teach younger students. I guess we will see where our lives take us.
Last but certainly not least, I am thankful for my health and the health of my loved ones. Everyday I am reminded of my surgery almost 16 months ago, and I am so thankful that I am healthy. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment