Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012

My Obsession with Sara Shepard Books

As I looked at my reading list for the year, I realized that Sara Shepard dominates it.  I have read 14 of her books this year, and I may squeeze in one more.  For those of you who don't know who she is, she is the author of the very popular (among young adults and 31 year old English teachers) Pretty Little Liars series and The Lying Game series.

I first became hooked on the PLL series through my school's librarian.  She book talked one of her books, and I was done!  The series follows Spencer, Hanna, Emily and Aria as they are tormented by their murdered friend Ali.  "A" is a mysterious and ever-changing villain throughout the series who finds the girls in the middle of some pretty heinous lies and crimes.  The book is set in Rosewood, a fancy suburb on the Mainline in Pennsylvania.  Rich girls + murder = juicy reading.  I admit that these books are not the best of literary fiction, but the plots are darned addictive!  I would read the books in a matter of days.  The last book in the series came out last week, and I waited for it like a kid on Christmas.

One down-side to this series is that it could have ended very well about 6 books ago.  I do feel that the first 6-7 books were by far the better half of the series, but I did enjoy reading each book.  I also dislike the television portrayal of the novels.  The plot of the show is pretty different from the books, which seems odd since the books are SO good. I will say that the actresses chosen to play the PLL are perfect.

If you have some time to kill and would like to be completely drawn in, this is the series for you!  I am only partly through The Lying Game, so I will post about that later.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment