Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

For the love of dogs

I have heard the story many times...as a young child, I was terrified of dogs. Mom and I were taking a walk around the block, and out of nowhere, a dog appeared.  He barked, I hid behind Mom and cried. I was so afraid. I would go in the house when I saw one coming. The sight of a dog, even a friendly one, caused meltdowns of epic proportions.  I am not really sure why I was so afraid, and I do not really know what caused me to change my mind, but now I love dogs more than almost anything else.

Growing up, I always had stuffed animal dogs. I would cuddle them and wish that they were real. I would beg for a dog, but the answer was always NO. One time, a stray Golden Retriever crossed my path! I was so happy. I put a jump rope leash on him and named him Dude. We had the BEST day together, walking and playing. Unfortunately, Dude already had a family. My parents located his family and home he went. My neighbor Lynn had a Rotweiler mix named Bear, and I loved to walk him. He was too big for me, and would pull so much that I fell a time or ten. I walked him religiously for as long as I was allowed. Nani would always worry because even though Bear was nice, he was HUGE!

My chance for a dog of my very own happened during my junior year of college. My boyfriend at the time and I thought it would be a good idea to get a dog. WARNING, what you are about to read is bad, and I am ashamed of this paragraph END WARNING. We went to the pet store and chose this cute little pup. We named her Abbie and we maxed out our credit cards to buy her. While she was cute, she was not very friendly. In her defense, we never trained her and she lived most of her life in a crate. After said boyfriend and I split up and I graduated from college, I moved home with Abbie. Things continued to go downhill as my parents did not want an untrained maniac dog. I decided to give her to a rescue agency. It was the best thing I could have done for her. I was in no place, emotionally or financially, to be a dog owner. Abbie is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I hope she went on to have a happier life with a family.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment