Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Belated Christmas

Well another Christmas has come and gone. I remember last Christmas we had just started exploring our adoption options. I remember being in VT over New Years and calling a Korean agency. When we started our journey, we really thought our child would join our family from Korea. My ILs knew two families who adopted from Korea, and we really loved the agency that we interviewed. As life would have it, we learned that Korea was attempting to phase out their international adoption programs in order to encourage domestic adoptions within Korea. We were disappointed to say the least! It ended up being a great thing for us because it opened our hearts to domestic adoption. We had heard so many myths and horror stories that we hadn't really given domestic adoption a fair shake. After a TON of research, we realized that domestic adoption was just right for us. One of the reasons that DA appeals to us is that we have a chance to have a somewhat open relationship with our child's birth family. While I am not sure how it will work out, I hope that we are able to have an amicable relationship so that our child will know that he or she has 2 families that love him or her. While so much has changed this year, I am even more excited about the changes that will be coming down the road. I do not want to type that "maybe we will have a child next year at this time" because maybe we will, and maybe we won't. D and I are trying our best to live our lives, and we know that when the time is right, it will happen! Not that I imagine that the waiting will be easy, but it will certainly be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment