Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To write or not to write

One of my lifelong dreams is to author a book. I began writing shortly after I ended a difficult relationship with my college boyfriend.  I wrote some edgier vignettes and poems that were fairly good, but nothing I would want to turn into something bigger. I have toyed with the idea of a novel with a main character who would strike a resemblance to me. The problem with doing that is that I would not want to reveal some of the more interesting parts of my past, and those are the parts that would make an interesting story.

The other part I struggle with is what the book would be about.  What have I learned in my (gasp) almost 30 years that would make a compelling story? I think the seed idea is essential to telling a good story, and I frankly am at a loss for one. I have very little experience with creative writing. I have some non-fiction experience from college when I wrote for The State Times and The Freeman's Journal. Maybe a magazine article or a column would be a better place to start.  Maybe I should pay more attention to the essay contests that the magazines I read offer, and try one. I will never know unless I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment