Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Human Being or Human Doing?

This is another thought provoking question that has come in our Mindful Living class over the last two weeks. Our teacher argues (and I agree) that most of the time we are human doings. While it is sometimes impossible to avoid it, it is not a way to live. While I wholeheartedly agree with this idea, putting it into practice is much more difficult. Sometimes I get weighed down with what I "need" to do that I end up sacrificing what I want to do.  I have been trying to avoid some of the items on my to do list, but in the end, it only increases my anxiety. What do you do when you can't really delete items?  


I need to find a compromise. But how? In my mind, it is difficult to separate relaxing from laziness, idleness from wastefulness.  I know I need to re-charge, but I cannot stop my responsibilities so easily. There will always be work to do, clothes to wash, dogs to walk, and appointments to keep.  


I found this quote, and I agree with it. Now I need to embrace it!


"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."  ~John Lubbock

No comments:

Post a Comment