Search This Blog

Saturday, January 3, 2015

2014 in Books



2014: A Year in Books

I really enjoyed just about every book I read this year.  As I am typing this, I feel like I write that every year.  My personal reading year was dominated by three genres: historical fiction, fantasy, and realistic fiction.  I did read two non-fiction books, and they are at the bottom of the list.  
I was surprised to see that I read more fantasy books than any other kind because I would not say that fantasy is a genre I enjoy.  The numbers speak for themselves, and I loved each fantasy book I read this year.  
Historical fiction is my absolute favorite genre, and I was swept away in each book.  I love how I am transported to another time and place when I read this genre.  To be honest, I am still working on Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932 because it is the type of book that I need to read in larger chunks of time because it has SIX narrators!  One place I found this book and Frog Music was on NPR's Wednesday Book Talks.  I often kick myself for not having a note pad to record each author they interview because the books all sound so interesting.  
In terms of realistic fiction, I mainly lived in the YA world.  John Green is a favorite of mine, and I enjoyed both of his books this year. I thought Looking for Alaska was his second best book (after Will Grayson, Will Grayson, of course).  
Enjoy the list!

Realistic Fiction:
The Husband's Secret, Liane Moriarty
Looking for Alaska, John Green
Paper Towns, John Green
If I Stay, Gayle Forman
A Cold and Lonely Place, Sarah J. Henry

Fantasy:
Everyday, David Leviathan
Insurgent, Veronica Roth
Divergent, Veronica Roth
Unwind, Neal Schusterman
Sabotaged, Margaret Peterson Haddix
Sent, Margaret Peterson Haddix

Historical Fiction:
Frog Music, Emma Donnaghue
The Daring Ladies of Lowell, Kate Alcott
Ripper, Stephan Petrucha
Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932, Francine Prose

Non-fiction:
Return from Heaven, Carol Bowman
Nickel and Dimed, Barbara Ehrenriech

For School/Contract Work:

Frindle, Andrew Clements
The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan
The Cay, Theodore Taylor
Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls

Total: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment