Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Firefly Lane Review


I just finished this amazingly heartwarming and heartbreaking novel by Kristin Hannah. The book came highly recommended, and I was hesitant at first because it began very much like Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. I admit that Summer Sisters is one of my favorite books about friendship, and I pretty much compare almost every book to that one.
Without giving the ending away, I will say that it was a beautifully woven tale about the complexities of a forever friendship. As with all women, love and envy are intrinsically linked, and this book really played that out. With Tully as a larger than life TV star and Kate as a stay at home mom, it would seem that they have little in common. What they do have in common, and what means everything, is Firefly Lane and the life that began there. They met in middle school, and they were best friends as well as exact opposites. Coming from very different backgrounds and heading for equally different futures, it was nearly impossible to NOT fall in love with both of them. The story spans 40 years and ends in such a perfect way. For once, the ending was not predicatble. This quality alone puts this book on top of the Great Book Pile! At the risk of souning cliche, it made me laugh, think, and cry. What more can one ask from a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment