Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

Being a Working Mom

This is a topic that I have had on my mind since September, but after a recent visit with my sister Jess, I decided to write about it.  She asked me if being a working mom is hard.

The answer is Yes.

Being a working mom feels like juggling constantly, making compromises all of the time.  After all, there are only so many hours in the day.  It has forced my already efficient personality into over-drive.  How can I do XYZ faster and better?  There are always lunches to make, dishes to wash, laundry to fold.  The chores are always there, like death and taxes.  Then there is work.  I love my work.  I missed it much more than I thought I would, even on those stressful days.  I love that with teaching, when I am at work, I am 100% at work.  It takes up my entire focus, and I love that about teaching.  I do miss those days of play dates and such, but it also makes me appreciate the time that I do have that much more.  I cherish the time we have together and make the most of it.  When I am home, I am home.  Grading and chores wait until after bedtime.  Dave and I feel that it is of utmost important to be present.  After all, parenthood is what we longed for.

The answer is also No.

While I am more stressed out now than just about any other time in my life, I am also the most satisfied.  I am not an either/or person.  I am an AND person.  I need to have my family and my career.  It takes both of those for me to be truly happy.  I feel very lucky to have had the year with LX, but I also feel lucky to be teaching.  I just read an article about the art of "having it all," and I don't believe that it is attainable.  But if you can get most of what you want, I would say you are doing alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment